Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nicola's Supermarket Bag's First Rule of Christmas.



That from the first moment you endure the sound of Cliff Richard's chart topping Christmas classic 'Mistletoe and Wine', until some moment in the new year when forgetfulness sets you free, these lyrics will haunt you.

Right now, on continuous repeat in my head, are the following lyrics:

"Christmas time, mistletoe and wine,
Children singing christian rhyme
With logs on the fire and da de da dee*,
Time to rejoice in all that we see."

I can even hum the woman background singer. I had avoided entering shops that might possibly be playing this type of music, that was until Friday when The Salvation Army in Levin unleashed horror sometime just before lunch. Since then I have rarely had a free moment without Cliff and his song of Christmas cheer.

On the upside I am very proud of my gift buying this year, especially the Darth Vader cuff links I bought for my sister's boyfriend.


* indicates forgotten lyrics- maybe 'bells on the tree'?

4 comments:

  1. "da de da dee" works for me. - John-Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.

    Thanks for the books by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read this I thought it said Darth Vader handcuffs for some reason, I was really confused as to how you would make such handcuffs and why you would want such handcuffs - plus i was a little concerned that you had bought them for your sisters boyfriend, cause you know that he would be using them on your sister - its all so much clearer to me now that I realise it is cuff links, but no where near as exciting in my mind.

    ReplyDelete