Monday, February 1, 2010

Then the sands will roll out a carpet of gold for your weary toes to be a-touchin'.



Thoughts are funny things and can lead you astray if you let them, but they can also lead to epiphanies. Yet I am sure you know this already. The ramblings that follow have come about largely due to a summer holiday to occupy and the reading/viewing/experiencing of the following:

-The TV series Mad Men (Season 1, 2 and snipits of 3)(thanks Laurel);
-The earthquake in Haiti and the events that are following it;
-This very insightful blog entry (thanks John-Paul);
-A book I read a couple of years ago called The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein (thanks to my uncle Gordon who gave this to me one xmas);
-A book I have just read called Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett;
-A BBC documentary series by Adam Curtis called The Century of the Self (as given to me by my flatmate Mikey);
-The past year spent without a television.

I am not yet sure where this will end, and some of the thoughts are a bit strange, but, surprised to say, the epiphanies have been relatively optimistic. This is new territory for me so please feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. I love the word epiphany.
    Where I now live, just at the end of the road and halfway along a beautiful bush-surrounded track alongside the water is a place that my lovely partner has christened 'Epiphany Bay'.
    It was here at Easter last year that we sat and Lynn said that she would really like to relocate to McLeod Bay to make a new beginning. We returned to Auckland and made the plans that less than a year later have seen us now living a short walk away from that magical spot.
    I believe in the concepts of serendipity and kismet. We are shaped by the things that happen to us and around us that we (choose to) find important and significant.

    ReplyDelete